Redken Global Styling Director Guido created two stunning styles at the Fall 2013 Valentino and Alexander McQueen shows in Paris. Both shows were pure beauty, yet appealing for different reasons. The style at Alexander McQueen, complete with cage-like pearl-covered headpieces which Guido helped design, was take-your-breath-away inspiring, while the perfectly polished, pure-and-simple side braid at Valentino had a much more attainable allure. Read on for the Valentino how to…
“I’d describe the clean, polished side braid I created at Valentino today with the word monastic – fit for the young beauty the designer envisioned when creating this collection. The inspiration for the hair and clothes was a number of portraits by Dutch masters- which is a very Valentino setting, and this braid really encompasses that feeling with its center part and the high forehead. She’s a simple, young girl but she still has style, and every girl can relate to it which makes it more personal, even intimate – and also reflects the appeal of the brand itself. I’ve done a side braid before, but it was always sexier, like at Alexander Wang a few years ago – this one is more minimal, but there’s a certain level of seduction in the innocence.” – Guido, Redken Global Styling Director
Get The Look:
1. Apply Redken satinwear 02 prepping blow dry lotion RRP$36 to damp hair from roots to ends and blow-dry straight with a boar bristle brush.
2. Create a clean center part, and then use a fine tooth comb to brush hair to one side (the side that the braid will fall on- in the show it was the models’ left) from the back (so center part stays intact).
3. Tuck the side of the hair you will braid behind the ear and then rub a small amount of satinwear 02 into your hands to help you as you start to braid, beginning a few inches down from the neck, keeping your wrists and elbows low as you go.
4. Create a braid that’s smooth but not too tight, and secure with an elastic at the tip, leaving only an inch or two unbraided at the end.
5. Put a few drops of Redken Diamond Oil Shatterproof Shine Intense RRP$45 on your hands, rub together to emulsify, and lightly run your hands over the hair on either side.
6. Slide the leather band over the head so that it rests 2-3 inches back from the forehead and covers the front of the ears.
7. Mist with Redken fashion work 12 versatile working spray RRP$36 to finish.