Dandruff 101

Dandruff affects approximately half of the world’s population, and the impact of this condition reaches beyond the physical symptoms of white flakes, itch and dryness feeling of scalp. In fact, people with dandruff surveyed by TNS for head & shoulders reveals that dandruff negatively affected other aspects of their lives including their career, social and love lives. The world’s leading anti-dandruff shampoo head & shoulders has been at the forefront of scalp health for over 50 years so we sat down with Lais Koelle, P&G Hair and Scalp Scientist to find out more.

–          Dandruff is a chronic scalp condition caused by a combination of three factors – the presence of sebum or scalp oils, the Malassezia globosa fungus and the individual’s susceptibility to irritation.

–          Malassezia globosa is a fungus that lives in most people’s scalp, independent of the occurrence of dandruff.

–          Dandruff is not caused by unwashed hair, dirty hair or poor hygiene practices.

–          Nearly one in two people suffer from scalp and or dandruff problems.

–          Men and women are almost equally affected, with 51% of sufferers being men and the remaining 49% being women.

Are you using an anti-dandruff shampoo enough?
There is a lot of stigma behind anti-dandruff shampoos so we asked Lais to weigh in on people’s beliefs about anti-dandruff shampoos and how they really work.

“An anti-dandruff shampoo is too harsh and will damage my hair”
Anti-dandruff shampoos and products should not be harsh; they actually need to be mild and very gentle on the scalp skin because the scalp is already irritated by the dandruff-causing Malassezia fungus. head  & shoulders, for instance, is carefully formulated with this in mind: its formula is designed with an optimal level of care and conditioning ingredients to help men and women fight dandruff while also nourishing and moisturising the scalp and hair.

“My dandruff or scalp problems are not serious enough to use an anti-dandruff shampoo more frequently”
Routine, daily use of an anti-dandruff shampoo is recommended as it helps to not only rinse away the excess oils and dandruff flakes but also attack the dandruff-causing Malassezia fungus. In fact, a quality anti- dandruff shampoo like head & shoulders’ is mild enough to be used every day and is also formulated to deliver a range of haircare benefits.

“An anti-dandruff shampoo will cause my hair to break and fall”
A good quality anti-dandruff shampoo, while fighting dandruff effectively, also needs to be gentle on the scalp and hair as it is already affected by the fungus Malassezia globosa living there. A good quality anti-dandruff shampoo should thus contain an optimal level of care and conditioning ingredients that helps keep hair beautiful while keeping dandruff problems in check. On top of that, not treating dandruff effectively can actually result in hair being more damaged and prone to breakage.

“My current usage frequency is enough to remove dandruff”
Since dandruff is a recurring condition, use an anti-dandruff shampoo every time you wash your hair. This frequency is recommended for the best results in keeping your dandruff under control as the Malassezia fungus lives on our scalps and can easily grow back between washes. By choosing a good anti-dandruff shampoo that also  takes care of your hair’s needs, you won’t feel  the need to alternate its use with other conventional shampoos and can thus enjoy better control over dandruff.

head & shoulders’ Cool  Menthol, Clean & Balanced, Smooth & Silky, Citrus Clean and Apple Fresh collections are formulated to tackle the dandruff-causing Malassezia fungus more  completely and  deliver optimum scalp and  hair care  benefits. Powered by the brand’s highly effective Dual Zinc Action technology which targets Malassezia at both the scalp surface and its hiding place at the infundibulum, head & shoulders is designed to not only remove more dandruff within one wash but also keep the flakes away for good, with regular use.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s