Bold and bright lip colours are going to be huge again this summer, from the classic bold red lip to sun kissed oranges and hot pinks. However, the dry, flaky, chapped lips you are currently sporting thanks to winter do not go well with this trend. But never fear there are things you can do to get your lips back in kissable condition.
- Stop licking your lips. Lips do not have many oil glands, so already they tend to be on the drier side. Our saliva then dries out our lips even more and worsens cracking. Plus once you start it is so hard to stop – so don’t start!
- Exfoliate your lips – this is an imperative step to allow lip balms to absorb and nourish your lips. There are a couple of ways you can do this. You can invest in a lip exfoliant, to gently get rid of dead skin cells, only use ones that are especially formulated for the lips. Or apply a small amount of sugar to a very soft, damp wash cloth and gently buff away any dry skin.
- Make sure you have a quality lip balm on hand at all times. Reapply whenever your lips feel dry.
- Just like your face, your lips need sun protection too. If you’re outside, choose a lipstick or balm with built in broad spectrum SPF protection.
- Finally, an important tip. Just as you must always remove your makeup at night, ensure you remove all traces of your lipstick too. Excess lipstick can really dry out your lips.
Lip Products we love
Yes to Carrots Pomegranate Lip Butter with SPF 15 RRP $5.99 (available from Countdown supermarkets from 1st October 2012)
Rejuvenate, hydrate and protect your sunny smile with Yes to Carrots 100% Natural Pomegranate Lip Butter with SPF 15, an all-natural, paraben-free lip butter than happily hydrates, conditions and soothes as it protects.
Dermalogica Renewal Lip Complex RRP $68.00
A little on the expensive side but it is a must have for mature or prematurely-ageing skin. This daily lip treatment restores delicate tissue, minimises contour lines and helps prevent the signs of ageing.
Karen Murrell Moisture Stick RRP $29.95
Moisture Stick provides an instant hit of hydration when it is most needed. It can be applied over lipstick or used as a lip gloss or lip plumper, making it the perfect lip protection – essential for long summer days at the beach! As an added extra, Karen Murrell Moisture Stick can also be used to tame unruly eyebrows, or can be slicked over face lines before bed to help smooth and hydrate – who doesn’t love a good multi-tasking product!?
Smashbox Emulsion Lip Exfoliant RRP $38
This sugar-based, peppermint-infused lip exfoliant is packed with vitamins and soothing conditioners to smooth and soften lips. Poppy seeds and sugar granules gently exfoliate while cocoa and shea butter, grape seed extract and jojoba deeply nourish. Lips instantly feel soft and kissable!